top of page

Proving a Valid Marriage for Immigration: What You Need to Know About Joint Documents

If you're a married couple navigating the complexities of the U.S. immigration system, you may have wondered, "How long do we have to be married before my spouse can petition for me?" It's a common question, and the answer might surprise you. Immigration law doesn't require a specific duration of marriage before you can file a petition for your spouse. Instead, what they're looking for is the genuineness of your marriage – a bona fide marriage based on love, not just a means to obtain a green card.

Proving the authenticity of your marriage is crucial in the immigration process. To do this, you'll need to provide joint documents that demonstrate your shared life and commitment. These documents serve as evidence of your bona fide marriage. Here's a sample list of Joint Documents for Immigration Marriage Cases:

1. **Joint Credit Card Statements**: Sharing a credit card account and having statements in both your names can be a compelling piece of evidence for your marriage based immigration case.

2. **Bank Statements**: Similar to credit cards, joint bank statements reflect your financial intertwining.

3. **Utility Bills**: Bills for utilities like electricity, water, or internet services in both your names show your shared living arrangements.

4. **Rent or Mortgage Agreement**: A lease or mortgage agreement with both spouses' names affirms your cohabitation.

5. **Insurance**: If you're named as a beneficiary on your spouse's life insurance policy, this strengthens your case.

6. **Other Joint Documents**: Other documents that feature both spouses' names can be used as evidence of your valid marriage. You can create new accounts or add each other to existing accounts.

7. **Affidavits**: Obtaining letters from people who know you as a couple is not required but can be helpful if you do not have many joint documents.

Having children in common is an indicator of a bona fide marriage, but it's not a requirement to petition your spouse. Immigration officers will consider all of the provided evidence to determine the authenticity of your marriage.

Remember, filing a petition is just one step in the journey toward obtaining permanent residency in the United States. The process varies depending on whether you're pursuing an adjustment of status or consular processing. In both cases, officials will review your joint documents and the main permanent residency application. If you need a waiver, the proof you submit will be closely reviewed.

If you're married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and are interested in having your spouse petition for you, we can provide you with the guidance and support you need throughout the immigration process. Contact us to learn more about your options and how we can assist you. With over 16 years of experience as an immigration lawyer, Alena Ray Conrad is here to help you navigate the complexities of immigration law and pave a smooth path to obtaining permanent residency.

Don't let the fear of complicated immigration processes hold you back. Reach out to us today, and let's work together to build a strong case for your immigration goals. Your future in the United States begins with a strong case, and we're here to help you build it.

We are here to support you:

Phone Number: 3109877172

This is general information and not legal advice. For advice about your specific situation, please schedule a consultation. (There is a fee).


  • Whatsapp
bottom of page